Counter for Private Messages

Would it be possible to add something to the private messages link, that shows you if you have any new messages?
I just discovered one from nine months ago.
I never thought I had any, since I didn't see a number indicating unread messages.

In other words, the link might say "private messages (2)," or something like that if you had two new ones.

Just an idea that might be worth considering.