Wine, audiogames and SAPI. How do I...?

Alright, delurking to post this. I'm a total and utter noob at this.

So. Step by step. I got WINE installed and everything. Now....how exactly do I get audiogames to work on it. I've found several guides that led me in circles.

Has anyone actually, geuinely got audiogames and such to work under WINE? I assumed it'd be just install SAPI and go, though that locked my Ubuntu box up pretty hard when I tried it. One reset later I'm now asking if anyone else knows how?

Also, no Windows disks around, the latest Windows CD (yes I said CD) collection I got is WIndows 2000

So. Step by step. I fire up Winethen....?

I'm on Ubuntu LTS by the way wiaiting for 18.04.