accessible java IDE

Hi,
I'm taking an intro to object oriented programming class, and we're using java. The IDE they're using is called bluejay, and it is unfortunately, not all that usable. Does anyone have suggestions as to an alternative? I've heard some people use eclipse, however I've heard others say that it's horrible and there are better alternatives, so figured I'd ask here.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.