Re: Monthly chat January 2018

@Mirage, really sorry to hear things are so difficult at the moment and people you know are going through these sorts of circumstances. Having been there myself I do appreciate the problem.

hope your own life gets better soon since it sounds like everything is piling up at the moment, actually i really hope 2018 doesn't mirror 2014 in being a universally crappy year for pretty much everybody.

@Simba, that trail ride still sounds cool, bone problems or not d.

@orko, if Aira ever makes it to the Uk please let me know, it does sound like an interesting service and something I think would be really useful to my lady and  I (provided two people could use the same account of course), though I think we'd probably get the phone version as even though I still have very limited vision and use the white cane myself (well when my dog isn't with me), I do still find my glasses more helpful than not and couldn't do things like play graphical games without them.

the price is a ittle higher than paid assistance, (assuming it remains the same in the uk), but on the other hand that is what one gets disability benefits for, though when a lot of services come to the Uk they have a nasty habbit of jacking the price up (especially if the rnib is involved), so we'll see.

One question i do have, is even if they cannot actually help you with mobility could they help you with things like reading a sign in an area or telling you what a shop is? Sat nav systems haven't progressed quite far enough to  you wich a certain shop door is, and while reever is very good at finding  things, reading signs on shop doors or station platforms is a little beyond her big_smile.

My cold finally! seems to be abating, which is good since I need to get back to singing, also we've finally cleared out the small room next to our bedroom (which we've knick named the cell), where my weights are, so will start back with exercising next week. It helps with my voice and is something I like to do,  provided it doesn't take me more than half an our or so each day.

lots of work on the db today, so got an update out, though as usually there is soooooo much more to add it's unbelievable, also the university situation still continues to be rather ridiculous, since now it turns out  my friend (who also works as my research assistant), can't actually print out said articles either without logging on to the university database. I cannot do that since the lovely uni It services refuse to send me a password on anything other than their very inaccessible web mail client (one reason I've never used my uni email).

It is quite ridiculous the lengths stupid publishers go to to make sure that nobody who isn't authorised read their work, lengths which actually make what should be accessible to everyone! accessible to even fewer people (and I use the term "accessible!" here with a very large pinch of salt considering they're image type pdfs that are utterly screen reader unfriendly).

I'll have to phone the uni tomorrow and give them merry hell I think.

On the plus side, doctor who continues to be awesome, I really liked the latest tenth doctor audios, and it was so great to see David tenant and billy piper back together. I'm also playing through A dark room in bits, which I'm finding wonderfully grim and rather fun, though I have had to stop several times to bash out db pages for a variety of games as people will gather, since once again we're rather falling behind especially with the Alexa now being another rapidly expanding platform.

Oh well , i suppose it keeps me out of mischief big_smile.