Urgent! problem with external harddrive

Hey and good evening everyone.
So great, an already stressfull week got worse today. I was in the process of copying some files from a friends harddrive to my own when there were suddenly errors coming up that the files can not be copied successfully because the destination is not reachable, a network storage device or an empty CD-Rom drive.
I than disconnected the drive and when I plugged it back in it took quite some time for it to show up in the windows explorer.
When I clicked on the now named local storage named harddrive, it told me that the drive couldn't be accessed. I than looked at the propertys of the harddrive and it told me that there were 0 bytes of storage space and 0 bytes still available.
I than tryed plugging the HDD into my friends computer and the autoplay dialogue popped up and gave the suggestion to fix the drive what we did than.
When I plugged the drive back into the USB port on my machine, it came back as Harddrive1, so the name i gave to it.
When I looked at the properties, it gave me the correct storage used and space remaining numbers.
But, here comes the strange part, when I open the drive, I see all the folders and files in the root directory, but all the folders are empty and media files give a VLC error that they can not be played.
So, I don't know what the heck is going on, empty folders, but still an almost full harddrive? I don't get it.
Fact is though that I can't access my files.
is there someone around here knowing what to do? I want to get a new HDD anyway, so even if it's just a quick and dirty backup solution, I am thankfull for every idea you guys have, guess that drive is going into the trash when, if it is even possible to recover my data.
Thanks in advance.
Greetings Moritz.