Question about reading numbers in dollars and other currencies

Hi.
I'm not very good at numbers in generel and this question might seems weird to some people, but I think this topic could turn into something quite interesting and informative depending on peoples answers on this.
Sometimes I find it difficult to read the numbers in the different currencies because of:
1. In Some countries like mine, a period means separating the numbers for easier reading. For example the number 10000 will be separated by a period like this: 10.000. In other countries, the numbers are separated by a comma like: 10,000.
2. It's difficult to know how many decimals there are in the different currencies like 10 dollars and 50 cents. I find it difficult to know when the period or comma is set for easier reading, or to show the cents, or the smaller amount of coins in other currencies.
It would be interesting to know how the money are written in your currency. In Denmark, the Danish krone is written as: "1,50" where the 50 is the smaller amount like cents. 10000 danish krones would be written as: 10.000"
Now to the question which has puzzled me for days:
I have started to mine bitcoins, which is an other topic. But, it shows I currently have "$ 0.1240 USD." I'm not sure on how to read this. Are there that many numbers in cents, so I have less than 1 dollar? All those numbers in dollars is the main reason for my big confusion... smile