Re: Questions about England

@Shotgun, there is also The britpicker's guide found here which goes through everything from language to culture, and though it's intended for Harry potter fanfic writers, it's actually a really interesting read, actually Mrs. Dark and I had lots of fun reading through it and discussing said differences, since as someone who was born and grew up in America and is still an Us citizen, then moved to Germany as a university student where she met and married a German and lived for 17 years and has finally wound up in England married to an English person her perspectives on differences are rather unique. I did certainly notice a fair few differences myself, especially because I'm afraid that America tends to export culture but not import it, or to accept rather skewed views of the rest of the world, ---- for example I was a little appalled when my father in law asked me how dangerous Britain was due to Islam extremists and told me he wouldn't leave America because he thought Europe was unsafe big_smile.

Then again I already mentioned a lot of this in This topic particularly in post 28 so I don't see too much point in repeating.

to answer Jonikster's immedate questions:

1: As flacus said, amount of acceptable physical  affection can vary across Britain, northeast tends to be fairly physical, south less so, midlands less so again, however it also depends upon individualls, social situation, gender etc. After all there is a huge difference between hugging a random stranger in a park, and hugging an old  friend.

it is probably true that there is over all less physical affection in Britain than what is usual in Europe, or even in America  certainly, but equally it's far from none at all. my lady is naturally fairly physical, and as a tiny, extremely friendly girl people don't tend to mind much, though she doesn't go around hugging random strangers either.

2: Hmmmm, Compare how exactly? I'm not really sure what you mean here.

3: yes in terms of people generally believing your  alien until they get used to you, something which seems pretty universal the world over, but no in terms of active discrimination.  for example a taxi driver refused to pickup a blind person you could get them into lots of trouble, since there is the disability discrimination act which does exactly what it says.

I have heard people say discrimination against the disabled generally is far worse post the recession, but that tends to be institutional, E.g you'll find it harder to get a job if your disabled, but once again that is true in most countries, America very much included.

4: Again what the heck do you mean here? there are lots of English people, so what is "the mentality of the English"

About the best I can say is that I'm English and I am pretty mental big_smile.