Re: ready player one In theaters March 29, 2018

I'm with Dark on this one. I thought The VR gaming aspect was pretty well done, and there was a good story buried somewhere in among the eighties references, but agree with Dark that the central character was way too much of a smart arse. I really turned against him in the scene where he and his friend humiliated the slightly obnoxious guy by out-geeking him with their better memorisation of eighties film wiki-facts. What they actually did was out-obnoxious him. So it was hard to carry on when I really didn't much like the main character, and was never a fan of eighties pop culture either. I was a teen in the eighties, and the people I was hanging around with didn't think much of the music and fashion at the time. If you were an ordinary working-class straight male, there was not a lot to identify with in eighties pop culture. It was all hair-spray and poncy boys going on about their delicate little hearts and how fragile they are. This is why lad culture emerged in the nineties: it was a backlash, and they went way too far the other way. I thought all the eighties themed stuff came across as kitchy, and was ultimately a cop out and saved the author the trouble of having to invent a pop culture for a period that hadn't happened yet.