Re: Accessing the internal disk of Digital Book Players

since the apex in question, I had to be careful with, as that wasn't mine. basically, under the battery, below the tiny tape, is the RAM. if the unit doesn't boot up, that's what they replace. when you remove the 6 screws out of the thing, which, as mentioned, you can use the most ever basic screw driver you have,  you have 2 panels. the top panel, with the braille display, keyboard, etc, and the bottom panel. I didn't really want to examine the bottom panel, but basically, these 2 panels and elements are all nicely tangled up with some cables, and there goes the apex. not special at all. pretty much any computer shop, that dealt with hardware, could repair it, as long as you don't take the braille display apart. .
MPOWER. first, you gotta tare out the 2 back legs. at that point, you can remove the 6 screws, 2 in front, 2 in middle, 2 below what is now the exposed legs. the good news is, after taring out the legs, you can actually put them back, if they don't get too dirty. they won't lose their stickiness.
once that's done, the MPOWER will fall in your lap. the first thing we will notice is the 2 sets of thumb keys are only held in by 2 wires at the edge. no screws, no clips, nothing. so as soon as I lift up the upper panel, the thumb keys start dangling in the air. next to that, we have the braille display, which is again, held in by 5 screws. when I unscrewed those 5 screws, I took off this metal sheet, that was above the display. I was able to partially remove the actual display, but those tough humanware wires. I don't have any knowledge of properly disconnecting those. but as long as you don't physically open up the display, it won't fall apart. now, at the bottom of the top panel, you find 6 standard, exactly like in a TV remote, batteries. since this MPOWER in question lost it's product key, and has a broken reset button, and I have one that works, I decided to rip out the batteries. so basically, the 6 batteries, tighed together with some kind of a tape, were taped down to the board. so I had to first destroy the tape on the frame, which I was able to do with my handy screw driver. I was able to, just like the braille display, remove the batteries. the idea was to put them into my other MPOWER, but again, the wires.  basically, anyone who knows how to do the wires, you can replace the batteries, or even the display yourself, as long as you have another element to put in instead. of course the back panel, with all the ports is also visible. I'm not sure what you guys would like to know in particular, I may have missed something. I'd do a little audio demo,  but I have nothing decent to record with. as for the back panel, the bottom of the unit, that just has some wires, and possibly the flash drive, etc. all in all, the apex and mPower seem to be using very similar, if not identical structure. with that said, if there is enough demand, I can produce some kind of an audio, but it won't be professional.