Need help in Inquisitor 3.

Ok, so I've finally made some progress in Inquisitor 3. I've gotten past the cave where I originally thought there was a bug and now I'm stuck on the puzzle with the altars, the apple and the four spheres.
  I know moving the seed into the various holes in the apple will allow you access to various locations, three of which have altars. But I can't access the other two areas. For the life of me I can't figure out where to go from here. It would seem logical to place the spheres on the altars, but whenever I try Brother Corona gets irritated and won't do anything. Needless to say I could use any hints.