Re: Looking for a new windows pc.

Wow I did not realize that Win 10 was such a massive RAM hog... Before I would have said 6GB to deal well with all the programs you mentioned on 7 for instance, and 8 to be safe, with 16 reserved for people doing stuff with VM's. are you sure it's that bad? 12GB is unfortunately rare and upgrading it your self after the fact gets harder and harder all the time, while buying new from the manufacturer means they'll gouge you massively on RAM upgrades.
Honestly I still haven't seen much use for a quad core for the majority of people, so I'd think a current generation I7 dual core would be enough future proofing, but it is a risk.