Re: Books by Stephen King

"Timberwolf, as regards the stand, my lady apparently has read both versions, both the original version released in 1980, and the longer one released in 1989. I've only ever read the 1989 version myself as I didn't see the point in reading the shortter one, same way I no longer bother with the theatrical versions of any of the Lotr films big_smile.

According to my lady, there are quite a few scenes missing, some of them are more atmospheric, such as the initial scene
charley the guard fleeing the facility after the bug gets released, (the original 1980 version apparently starts directly with Stew and his buddies in the filling station), Franny's confrontation with her mother or the hole episode with the trashcan man meeting the kid (you see his wolf ravaged body in the cut version apparently but not the man himself.

Some missing scenes however were pretty important according to her. For example, the entire scene when Tom saves Knick from the Tornado is missing, which is the first idea you get that Tom might not be quite as simple as he seems, and also the hole business with the gang of thugs who capture women and use them is  meaning that Shirly's later depression and suicide seems a bit random, as does the fact that Harold stew and co just happen to run into five women while travelling along the road big_smile. Also, the final chapter when you see the dark man appear on a beach with some sort of primmative tribe and its clear he's moved on to cause trouble somewhere else is entirely absent from the original 1980 version, meaning he just vanishes with no explanation.
In general, it sounds like the 1989 version is a far better book and I can see why King decided to write it.
Btw, a quick google did find This blog article which details a few of the substantive differences,  though the waffling about " the symbology of death and orgasm" is a bit too art house for my liking big_smile.