The basics of inventory

Given enough practice and dedication I can eventually code something. So that's not what the issue is. I think I attempt to start coding things without knowing exactly what they are. For example, I know an inventory is used to see details about different items and the details are unique to each item. Ok, that's the english definition of an inventory. What is the coding definition? If I have the coding definition it might help me understand what it means, because unfortunately english definitions are not enough. Thanks