Re: Ripping Sounds from Games?

Hi.
I have done this for quite a while. so I know a few things.
Note, this doesn't cover anything recent.
If a game uses a crf file like systemshock2 or pk3, then its a zip file and can be extracted.
cab files can be extracted to.
pak files and pk4 files if you have pack explorer and rt-pk4 I foget the links can be extracted.
In some older windows games 1995-1998 if its all the music you want tracks 2 up will be soundtracks only.
In the ps1 I think its like that.
In a lot of the early 1995-1997 games, the sounds were just left on the disk in folders called audio, sound, sounds, wav, waves, wave, or something simular.
Moving up from there, dragonunpacker from dragonunpacker.com is your friend or mostly is.
v4 and v5 are both needed but no development has been done for a while and it can't get everything.

Incripted files and weird formats.
A lot of games have either their own file format or incripted sounds in he x language so even if you extract their files you can't get them.
Now there is aparently a way to get into steam files and extract them but I have never tried it.
A lot of games are sadly steam or their own format so hacking them is just impossible.
A lot do come with the music if you pay enough, example, a special adition of bioshock2 came with the music on both disk and vinal.
You probably can buy stuff on itunes.
If you really want something and happen to go to japan then bring as much cash as you can and spend up.
You should be able to buy most soundtracks in japan aparently a friend of mine recons that they have stores full of soundtracks for every game under the sun including their own.
Origional and remixed tracks.
you probably can find ripps of stuff online if you look.
Any of your chiptune sites will have those potentually or other game soundtrack sites.
Failing this there is youtube.
Its where I have gotten a lot of my songs now the big companies are watching the big file share networks now.
I have used dvd videosoft which does have adds, but no spyware right now it does have open candy but as far as I can see its just a page of stuff after install and it should be good.\
The torrent app is not accessable nore is the studio manager  and maybe some of the 3d encoder stuff.
but all the converters and upload/ download apps should be usable.
Just make sure when getting vids you get the lowest quality you can because hd vids are big, and the program will download the entire file and then convert it.
Make sure you set conversion to anything bar origional because most of the video audio is in ipod form.
I usually have mp3 128 or ogg but you may want to have a lower codec rate for speed.
The best games to wrip are from 1995 through 2003-2006.
Anything after  2000 started going pairshaped on us wrippers.
and sertainly after 2004 it was quite hard to get anything.
after 2006 at elast in nz most supplies of that stuff dried out.
However if a game is popular enough you may be able to find the soundtrack online either as free or low cost remember a lot of this stuff is japanese and the prices for some of these are quite small.