Re: What do You Guys Want to See in an Independence Training Center

The word ablism  irks me to no end. Most people are just ignorant about disability, and not balligerantly so, just plain ignorant. That doesn't make them ablist. I also think the term is a crutch word, oh I have to fight with ablism all day long, I would be doing so much better for myself if only people were more accommodating. Sure, our situation could stand improvement, but who's honestly couldn't. Now if you have a person in a wheelchair in a park and someone else is running in circles around them saying lookie what I can do in a sing-song voice, and that wheelchair bound person called them an ablist prick, then yeah OK good I get it there, it fits. If someone is doing something to a blind person, like moving their plate around so they can't find it or making them hunt around for their drink, then yeah ablist, makes sense as there's no reason to be doing that that's not malicious. If two deaf people are signing between one another and someone is like running between them all the time on purpose, disrupting their conversation, OK got it. But people are using it to sort of negate the result of a particular struggle. Now can it be systemic, yes, but I think the word is over-used.