Re: getting started with Mac OS or IOS development

Hi, I have wanted to do IOS development for a while as well. I have learned a couple things after spending some time doing research with not a lot to show for my efforts. I had to set it down because of school.

I can tell you what I learned concerning IOS development. If I get anything wrong I hope someone can correct me.

You can sideload IOS apps onto your phone with XCode without paying for the $100 development membership. The $100 is specifically for being able to upload apps to the app store from what I can tell. Apple created a way in recent years for people to be able to transfer apps from your computer to your phone for free using XCode, it is called sideloading. I was never able to successfully do it myself though.

From everything I have read, XCode is pretty accessible with Voiceover. I believe that XCode is the best way to develop apps for IOS, however, I was struggling learning how to use XCode with Voiceover. I am not a strong Mac user to begin with, which may have been part of my problem. I would imagine that it is possible to run everything through the terminal, and develop in a different IDE to get around the confusing interface for XCode, but I am not sure, and I have yet to find a simple nice code editor for Mac such as Notepad++ or ED Sharp to use instead of XCode. I suppose there is always text edit.

I don't know much about swift, when I was trying to learn IOS development, I was trying to use phonegap, which is a _javascript_ library for creating mobile apps. The idea is that you can create android, IOS, and Windows mobile apps using _javascript_, HTML, and CSS, all with more or less the same code. Based on my research, _javascript_ libraries like that are great for more simple apps, although insuring accessibility in all platforms is challenging from what I was reading. There are also a lot of limitations, so I don't know if this is something that someone would want to use for audio game development.

I hope that that was a little helpful. hopefully someone with more experience can provide more information.

TJ Breitenfeldt