Re: The NER BBS, accessible gaming for all, now available

@grryffindor
Hello, and to others, I'm sorry I've been awol. I've been reading but unable to respond thanks to life smile.  Also sorry for bbs being up and down a bit, still working out bugs and figuring out which version of the bbs software works best.

Go Gryff, you're welcome to try JAWS, but I would recommend, if you must use JAWS, using versions 12 or earlier due to the way it handles terminal and telnet windows.  If ou use JAWS 12 i.e install it, then you can press insert+f4, unload jaws, and then run jaws12 or earlier.  This will cut down on the repeating that seems to creep in when users use Teraterm, and also, allow people to read things properly with the windows 7 telnet client.  As detailed earlier in this thread, people have had some success using the stock telnet client with JAWS, but I would counter with the fact that at times , automatic speaking will stop after several screens.  I don't have screipts listed on my Wiki pages yet, but I will be working on that page this weekend and hope to have a more definitive guide for JAWS and other screen readers.  If you use JAWS 12 or earlier, Tera Term with an easily installable script works fine.  If you can stomach it, NVDA works best out of all screen readers with no customizataion at all of any terminal client.

In my wiki at http://wiki.nerbbs.com, I talk about the terminals and their pluses and minuses.  There has been some confusion with symbols and the fact that eloquence and other screen readers speak "symbol" when they see graphics presented by ansi.  With Tera Term, you must go to the settings menu, then tcp/ip.  Under terminal, type ansi into the edit box.  Then click ok.  NExt, go to the settings menu once again, and select fonts (I believe).  Pick th e font Terminal, and select OEM DOS as the character encoding.  This will take the u umlauts and degree symbols away onscreen.  If JAWS continues speaking the symbols, try earlier versions or switch to another emulator i.e. Windows telnet with an earlier version of JAWS.

With NVDA, it is possible to completely mute all of the symbolS, and that is detailed in the Wiki.

I'm always available on twitter at @ner or at @nerbbs to answer any questions.  I have no problem walking anyone through the system should you have problems.

I will update this thread when the wiki si less scattered, I wrote it way too late one evening smile.
@mordsith Stay away from those orcs if you can.  I've heard they can be ... irritating.