Re: The beginning of the end for jaws?

I don't see Jaws dropping out completely, but I do see their need to change their pricing structure. Let's say though, that they do. NVDA is not, and I repeat not ready to take up the slack. I'm not even considering users' objections to NVDA when saying this, I basically mean that NVDA does not have the feature set Jaws people will expect. Then you have the fact that the thing runs like a dream on some machines, and on others, is moderately bad to terrible. But apparently Jaws is getting this way too. Damn it, NVDA needs, to, be, pure, 64, bit. But anyone who says that gets shouted down. OK. Let's see how long you can live that way. We've already lost access to Java through means of the JAB. Anyway, It's hard to get corporations to accept it, but we've already had that discussion, just pointing it out because Jaws is so dominant in professional circles. Then you have the way NVDA devs just leave issues open and uncommented. Also, it's my opinion that NVDA needs a bug tracker that is easy to use. Github is not for the ordinary schmuck, I'm sorry, but it's just not. I don't have a problem with it, even though I'm not a dev, but plenty of others don't understand the thing. It's not a matter of just create an account and get going with it. I get why it's there, and I wouldn't ever intend on saying stop using it entirely, since that's what other devs should be using. But, just your average users should have something where they can submit bugs through an easy to use form. Now, if this is possible, that form could certainly be the front end to an API that converts it into a github issue where the template is filled in. I.e. on the form, put separate boxes for each field in the template, then have the form submitted to an intermediary script that converts it to a github issue. I don't know if that  is even possible, if there is a github API that lets you do that or whatever, just a thought.

The conclusion I'm heading towards is that I'm rather impressed by how much I'm becoming unimpressed by NVDA of late. It's been my primary for 10 years now, hell, my only for 10 years now, so it makes that sad to have to say. When Jamie left for Mozilla, that just through a monkey wrench into the project. I thought it might knock everyone off their stride, but the project still hasn't recovered imo. So, if NVDA remains in this state, and Jaws just drops out of the market, and Narrator's half ready at best, that ain't good. That's me spinning stuff out though and I don't consider the likelihood of that happening to be very high.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : giorgi elbaqidze via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : adriani via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : adriani via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : quanin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindrobertbrown via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector