Re: A strange problem with Crazy party and hosting a server

Did you check to see if you're behind another firewall? That's most likely the reason if your manual port forward rule didn't work. Also, don't put your computer in the DMZ of the router where port forwarding didn't work, because that does no good. The other firewall is still blocking connections, even though your router is technically allowing all traffic to pass to your computer. Instead, put your router in the DMZ of the other device htat directly faces the Internet. This means that all traffic coming in passes through the first device and then hits the second firewall and router. That firewall should keep most unwanted things out, except for the things you've specified in manual port forward rules. Don't use the DMZ on the second device, because you're opening up either your entire network or a specific device to all incoming requests from the open Internet. Also disable UPNP on everything! UPNP allows any application to open ports at any time which is a huge security risk.

Bleh! Why must this be so complicated? I remember how frustrating it was 9 years ago when I didn't know nearly as much about computer networking as I do now. There's no excuse for all this port forwarding nonsense when you can easily buy server resources at a very cheap price. I love my Linode! I pay $5 a month, but I don't worry about the physical machine at all. If the machine fails, or a natural disaster occurs, that's not my problem. The people managing the physical machines deal with it. The same goes for power consumption and air conditioning.