Re: Research papers?

I'm in agreement with post #6.  LaTeX is often times more helpful than MS Word for research papers, especially if you're concerned with scientific/mathematical notation.  It's not a particularly fun syntax to write in, but it's a perfectly-valid option and will most likely look the way you want it to.  There are packages you can utilize that will help with some of the nuances of the formatting that are generally standard for the type of paper you are writing.
I author all of my math in LaTeX.  I even have a copy of my resume written in LaTeX that I have rendered to a readable (to sighted people) PDF.
If you feel strongly about doing it on your own, you could take the MS Word route, but then you'd be sacrificing a great deal of time moving between lines, words, and even characters continuously pressing insert+f to listen for the formatting details of whatever has focus.
My other suggestion is take your paper to the writing center, or some equivalent department, at your university.  They help even the sighted students with formatting-related things, so don't worry about being "that guy" who can't format his research paper.