Re: help with Aprones castaway

Strategy, efficiency: these will aid you in your quest.
It's important to build your population and defenses and supplies in a relatively balanced manner; go too fast on one, and the others will be too weak and you won't be able to fight off the enemies / build defenses / avoid starvation.

In the later missions, I focus on getting meat and vegetables, and a hospital (and all the necessities for cloth, to heal injuries), and otherwise focus on building my population and adding walls until I'm strong enough to expand my economy. It's probably better to aim for a barracks before sustaining bread production (But your mileage may vary), and rangers are the cheapest type of specialized military unit to produce. Diversifying your army is a very good idea; it's just a lot of work to get Pikemen and Cavalry (and to a lesser extent knights).

I suspect that, where you're going wrong is trying to fill out all the jobs early on. To speed things up , you should focus on the essentials, and only start adding some of the others (like bartender, cooper, etc) after you've built up enough of a settlement to support them. (In fact, people eventually started avoiding bread and wine so much that Aprone had to add bonuses to them. Wine makes people work a little faster, for example, so you might consider having a bartender until your starting wine runs out, if the gains outweigh the loss of someone who could be out building or hunting. Do not keep a bartender when you have no wine, though!)

You also need a decent number of peasants and builders, pretty much at all times. Some jobs default to peasant when they aren't busy (weaver, baker and builder, I think), but you'll probably want a couple dedicated peasants for when the auxiliary peasants are busy weaving/baking/building. Without peasants, supplies don't get to where they need to go. If you have a lot going on at once, you'll need a lot of peasants to keep supplies moving, just like industrial economies use lots of trucks, trains, etc.