Re: Do you feel excluded?

I tend to overthink things like these in my head, and then I end up just becoming depressed by them. As an example, I ended up having to repeat my current school year. I attend a school that offers a major in pop music, and before, I used to be in aclass of great musicians. The thing about them was that they of course had social media in their lives like most other people my age. However, it wasn't defining. They wouldn't spend hours talking about the latest meme compelations or uploads to their friend's snapchat stories. You could have meaningful discussions with almost all of them regarding politics, music, or hell, any old random topic of life. Sure, I had my difficulties regarding eye contact and fitting in, but my peers showed exceptional maturity for their age. I knew and felt that they saw past the blind guy with the white cane who uses a laptop and braille display instead of a pen and paper. If we ever went somewhere, I could depend on them. This is definitely not the case with the new environment. These people still play music, but they aren't musicians. For most of them their heart doesn't seem to be in it. Image based social media and funny videos are a much more popular topic of discussion, along with the forming of groups. There's far less of a sense for community, and more of an "overyone out for themselves" feeling. Similarly to the experiences described in post 9, I often get skipped over when questions are asked that I could answer in favor of someone else who is sighted. People are in general less likely to look past the blindness thing or even to be curious about it, especially girls. I end up being left behind more than taken along, and I don't get asked to go places. IfI do go somewhere these days, it's usually with a family member in attendance because I can't manage to find someone who will guide me. I know this shouldn't be a big problem but for someone my age, it doesn't look particularly good, especially when you're doing your best to try and show how independant you are.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BoundTo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : drums61999 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : BoundTo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : kaigoku via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : connor142 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Munawar via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : leibylucw via Audiogames-reflector