Procedural game design

I was trying to write a procedural fantasy name generator and found that creating a believable name from scratch is harder than it sounded when I first started. It seems that names aren't just randomly crammed together vowels and consonants after all.

Some names are words that mean something going back generations, and sometimes from dead languages. They are place names, old malformed nicknames, and career paths. Even if We don't know the meaning, there's an underlying pattern to them that makes sense to us on some unconscious level.

I tried different things: choosing random letters, choosing them with rules that varied in complexity and just got more useless and convoluted as I worked outward, and finally I just built a giant list of three to five letter words that was a combination of nonsense letters and real words and names.

That last one seemed to work the best, but being the best turd in the toilet is a relative thing.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've kind of hit a wall here.