Giving WinSCP root on pi or suggestion on bring file to PC for editing

I see that winscp has a built in text editor. I have a file on my pi that I need to change quickly. The file is in a directory that requires root access. I am not to good at the ditor that is on my pi at this time. So, I wish to bring the file over to my windows computer to make the needed change. I figured that after I make the needed change I can send it back over to the pi. I have Notepad++ installed seeing that the default windows notepad would just mess things up. As a side note, if there is any JAWS scripts to make NotePad++ better, I would love to have them. Editing via SSH can be such a pain at times.