Re: Best way to make a timer in python?

Hi kingzombie,

From reading your question, I'm not sure if you want a timer to just wait a set amount of time while nothing else happens or if you want to perform some event a set amount of time after something else happens.

If you don't need to do anything and just want to wait for a period of time to elapse then you can just call sleep(3) etc to sleep (i.e. wait) for three seconds in this example. This is what's called a blocking operation because the code doesn't continue until it has waited for the specified duration.

If you want other things to happen while waiting for a period of time to elapse then you need a non-blocking way of doing this. Here's a quick example of a rubbish programming joke I knocked together for you:

import threading
from time import sleep

def answer():
    print("Java.")

print("Knock knock?")
print("Who's there?")

timer = threading.Timer(10.0, answer)
timer.start()  # After 10 seconds, the 'answer' function will be called

## (in the meanwhile you can do other stuff...)
for loop in range(1, 11):
    print('.')          # Print a full stop
    sleep(1)          # Sleep for 1 second

This produces the output:

Knock knock?
Who's there?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Java.

The knock-knock / who's there appears immediately, then we wait 10 seconds, printing one full-stop per second, then finally the 10 second timer expires and the 'answer' function is called to print "Java".