Re: Games under linux

Niklas, I am a Linux user, and it is possible to play some accessible Windows games under Linux using Wine but not all. If you intend to use Wine you are going to have some difficulty setting things up because Wine is not real accessible and there are several dependencies that will need sighted assistance to be installed such as Visual Basic 6, DirectX 9.0C, perhaps .NET Framework, Sapi, etc. Then, of course, all of the games you intend to play. However, the problem with Wine is because it is an emulator a lot of games will crash or not run correctly under Wine. You might get half way through a level in Shades of Doom, press enter to open a door, and the game bombs out unexpectedly on you. So truth be told playing Windows games under Linux using Wine is not a really great solution.

What I suggest in stead, if you are serious about using Linux, is to get VMWare Player and install Windows in a virtual machine. Things will run a bit slower than on a native Windows machine, but it will be more stable and dependable than running Windows games inside Wine. As a fairly heavy Linux user myself virtual machines is often what I use when I want to maintain using Linux as my primary OS, but need to use Windows to develop certain software or to continue playing games etc that are Windows only.

  • [Audiog... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Niklas
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: tward
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: tward
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: king gamer222
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: office furniture
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: SLJ
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: tward
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: SLJ
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: king gamer222
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Chris
    • Re... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: king gamer222