HTML / CSS Tooltip & mouse-over don't display on screen readers

Hello dear community,

Over the years I made a text based browser game (www.thegraillords.net) that hasn't been very accessible ^.^
Time to change that and I'm currently working (hard) to improve the accessibility of my game.

The game uses often mouse-overs and tool-tips to provide additional information for the player without having to use more space. This works reasonable well for sighted players, but it seems most (not to say all) screen readers have issues catching that information. I've tried several ways to make this work properly without much success:

- ALT attribute seems to work only for images and input, not for a regular <div>
- TITLE attribute seems to work for many screen readers, but it shows now both the title & the original tool-tip.

So I was wondering if somebody has experience with this and knows a clean, efficient way to:
- Keep showing mouse-overs/tool-tips that can be styled in CSS.
- Provide the required information for users with screen readers.

Any help or pointing me to the right direction would be highly appreciated smile

Yours Sincerly,

Aro