Re: Scanning and reading software / hardware solutions.

Well to be honest it depends what stage you are at and what funding you can afford.
So if you are at university, having used a coppy of k100 I was able to get from extra legal means thats one of the best you can get using both abbyy and nuance engines.
Its not cheap and when I switched to my own device I quit my ill gotten software since I couldn't afford it.
If you have allready gotten an fs product, openbook is probably your next best choice to use with that product or k1000 I can vouch for at least k1000.
Later in life, depending on funds will depend on what you choose.
For 300-600 us you can pick up various additions of omnipage from standard to ultimate I am not sure how well they work or not.
I went for the abbyy fine reader standard as I got it on a special deal, price has gone up to 300 australian.
For what it is its quite good.
However just after I got that, my need to scan has dropped a lot.
I have aquired a basic multifunction brother laser printer with network scanning.
I have aquired during convention knfb reader which I use, I still have abbyy fine reader here, and windows has a scan app.
However and this is a big but, with so much as electronic, the only time I print anything for myself to use well I generally don't need to even print anything.
I do have access to as well as my brother laser, a fully functional hp envy small home printer via eprint on a remote network which I print various things for people.
Most electronics go through qute pdf on my end for printing.
I havn't had to deal with much paper in the last 10-15 years and its only going to get less as the years role on.
I suspect that within another generation, unless we are all nuked or something, a printer will be something we would use but not all day like now.
I certainly don't need the printer for 99.999% of my life's tasks certainly not for every day tasks, much less scanning.
I do use ocr for a few documents but my job as a tester means I don't need to be concerned with pdfs, office documents except the occasional word document, and or web page.
As for books, if you have a transcription service where you are though you may have to get things in advance, it should be easy enough to get books converted to braille or even electronic which is what I had done here in new zealand.
The only time I used a scanner were courses with multiple worksheets in printed form.
Most things were all electronic slides which I could save or which I got allready converted for me.