Re: Witch antivirus to use?

I would just not install the browser add-on if the AV you go with offers one then, I never did anyway because I found them too picky.
I just use an add blocker (mine is Adblock+ with a couple added lists) and try to avoid obviously sketchy sites.  I also clear my internet temp files weekly...  Though I doubt that has much of an effect as most attacks would be launched long before that.

I also use a password manager (I like Last Pass) and store all my critical stuff in there, email accounts, banking info, paypal, any site I've paid for stuff on, even my SSN and license keys for software.  It helps you generate really powerful passwords (I use 12 characters) with a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols.  Also, after copying and pasting a password, I clear the clipboard, and I don't store any passwords or personal info in plane text anywhere on my computer.  I did before I had a password manager, but even then I used a program called AES Crypt to password protect the files, gave them super weird extensions like Z~2 or L|9, and avoided grouping card numbers and SSN's in the standard style, putting spaces in weird spots to make it harder to run a search rutene.

More powerful addons like Ghostery or privacy cleaner are useful as well, if at times annoying (when some part of a site won't work until you figure out what to whitelist) as they can both reduce your attack surface and speed up your browsing.

Aside from that, I just do a full scan with the free version of Malware Bytes weekly, and I've adjusted all my settings so that it looks in archives and on external drives (I scan my external HDD periodically) and made it ask before deleting or quarantining stuff.

If you really want something realtime than Malwarebytes would be a fine choice, and I've also heard good things about NOD 32, from Eset, but I don't see the point in paying so much per year when Win Defender and those other add-ons, combined with some common sense can do the job just fine.