Music studio recording set ups, how they have changed over the years

I am curious. Can anyone describe to me how music was recorded back in the day? Not exactly the equipment used, but where microphones were placed,  How stereo was dealt with back when it began to be used on a larger level. One thing for example,  It appears that a vocalist was recorded on a mono microphone, and this microphone also picked up reverb.  While I have seen examples of this not being the case going as far back as the late 1960s, why was this at first done and how did they get the  vocalist in the center channel with all the reverb or most of it in the side  Channels?  Also,  how has microphone placement regarding generally nonelectronic acoustic recordings with vocals changed over the years?  To me it seems like things have changed a lot. To a slightly more personal question, which do you prefer when it comes to the way music used to sound and how it sounds now? Of course, there is no easy answer to this one, but I would like to hear anyones thoughts on rather they prefer the older sound, or the more new, more crisp yet in a way to me more bland sound?