Re: i'm spoiled by Skype so I have some qualms with Discord. Any help?

You can hit CTRL+1 to go to what I like to think of as the front page. Depending on what bit you're at, you might have to use ALT+DOWN a few times to move through your DMs. Alternatively, if you just go to the top of a page, be it your friend list on the front or in a server channel, new DMS should show up as the sender's/DM group's name with the number of unread messages below it, same as if you get mentioned on a server and the icon then has the number of mentions below it. You can then click on the name and it jumps to that DM/server.
The dialogue thing is apparently NVDA specific, but the devs are looking into it, last I heard. It only started showing up maybe half a year ago, for some reason. The good thing about Discord being electron means you can always hit NVDA+CTRL+F and search for a bit of the last message you read to jump to it, then keep reading.
Also, ALT+DOWN will move you through channels on a server. CTRL+numbers will take you through the first handful of servers you're connected to, 1 taking you to the front page or whatever DM you might be focusing on, 2 being your default private server, and 3-0 being whatever servers come up after that, in alphabetical order. What you do after the 7th server I don't know, but if I ever get on more than that I'll probably just click the server icons near the top or hit CTRL+0 then use CTRL+TAB to move beyond the numbered ones.
I've used Discord daily for just over a year now, so I'm way more comfortable with it than with Skype 8, even if reading messages on Skype is much easier with the curser focus thing off, the fact Discord uses headings makes it much easier to jump between messages.
As for the annoying where do you want to go field, you can jump to the top of your friend list with H or SHIFT+H if you're at the bottom, the heading is simply called Friends.
For server settings, I think they pop up around the top, but you need to use NVDA+NUMPAD to move to those, same for right clicking on people in a voice channel or messages to add reactions... It's a bit of work, but it's something.

Here's a list of keyboard commands you might find useful:
Navigate between servers CTRL+ALT+Up, CTRL+ALT+DOWN (Alternatively, CTRL+TAB)
Navigate between channels on a server ALT+UP, ALT+DOWN
Navigate between unread channels ALT+SHIFT+UP, ALT+SHIFT+DOWN
Navigate between unread channels with mentions CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+UP, CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+DOWN
Create or join a server CTRL+SHIFT+N
Find or Start a Direct Message CTRL+K (Type name of person and press enter)
Create a private group CTRL+SHIFT+T
Answer incoming call CTRL+ENTER
Decline incoming call ESC
Start call in private message or group CTRL+' (Apostrophe)
Return to connected audio channel CTRL+ALT+LEFT
Toggle between last server and direct messages CTRL+ALT+RIGHT
Mark server read SHIFT+ESC
Mark channel read ESC
Toggle Pins Popout CTRL+P
Toggle Mentions Popout CTRL+I
Toggle Members List CTRL+U
Toggle Emoji Picker CTRL+E
Scroll Chat Up or Down Page up, Page down
Jump to oldest unread message SHIFT+Page Up
Focus text area Tab
Toggle Mute CTRL+SHIFT+M
Toggle Deafen CTRL+SHIFT+D
Upload a file CTRL+SHIFT+U
Get Help CTRL+SHIFT+H
Search CTRL+F

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : tomas1333 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : musicalman via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : AlexN94 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : blindaudiogamer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : mazen via Audiogames-reflector