handling the visual aspect of GUI applications

hi,
Sighted people, being able to see, can easily design their gui applications in a manner which is presentable and visually appealing. However, I'm wondering, how do blind developpers go about this? I have struggled a lot with designing my school papers throughout my school years. I have usually gotten sighted assistance, but it can be annoying as people have different preferences, and there have been cases where asking for their opinions left me more confused. I assume that it's worse with applications, as it has the potential to be seen by more people and stay for a long time. So what do you guys use to organize your controls and such in your applications? Are there any convensions or standards  reguarding the shape, size, colour and order of the controls in an applications that one can follow to give their programs a presentable look?