Unwritten Legends: RP-enforced mud

Hello gamers,

I love how we always come to one another about different and fun role playing games. And thus, here I am with yet another one for you.

It's a game I sunk my teeth in to years ago and have been back at for a few months now called Unwritten Legends.  It is a high fantasy medieval game that is role-play enforced.  Before I get in to other points of the game, I will mention that there is a short application that you need to fill out on the website before you are allowed to create a character account. This application has been a point of contention for some, but when it was created, they were looking for beta testers and trying to prevent griefing.  It does ask for your city, state, and real name, but staff do not use any of that against you.  You will get an account to house up to five characters under.

Because this is an rp-enforced game, there is a lot of information on the website concerning the lore of the game.  You do not have to memorize everything, but you might use the couple of days that it takes to get your application processed to look over some of it. The players are very forgiving of not knowing all of the lore and are an extremely helpful bunch.  So, why do I enjoy this game?

There are races grouped under different categories. Two kinds of elves with three or four cultural backgrounds for both, flying creatures, humans with varied cultures that matter, anthropomorphic races, gnomes and much more.  So when you choose a race, it should have more to do with what you'd like to rp, rather than trying to match it with the perfect profession.

There are many classes, from mechanists who are crazy inventors to clerics of the good and evil gods, empaths, wilders both religious and your more ranger types, bards, three types of mercenary, illusionists, wizards, monk, and probably a profession or two that I have forgotten.  One of the great things about this game is t hat you do not have to play to class. That is to say that just because you choose to play a ranger, it does not mean that your entire rp concept needs to be a ranger.  Maybe you are someone who happens to just enjoy archery. Perhaps you are a person who has a pet and enjoys camping every now and again.  Perhaps you are a handmaiden, or a bard and you know of varied plants and are capable outdoors. Or the outdoors never has to come up at all if you don't want.  That is the beauty of this game.  Your rp concept is first, your profession is secondary.

Note: Do not choose the scientist class. That class needs a huge recode and is not ready for playing.

Once you are able to create a character, you can choose character traits like hair, eyes, skin color, eye shape, etc. All of this generates a dynamic description.

The game has a fame system that can be accrued by reporting bugs, logging on every day, or being involved with plots and receiving an rp award.  Fame can be used for getting more space in inn rooms, getting ten minutes of experience, writing a custom desc for your character, getting custom objects, and much more.

The lore on the game is amazing. You can read about all of the kingdoms, religions, and some of the major places. The kingdom of Peregorne is like 17th-century England.  Other kingdoms have some real-world country connotations which help with your rp concept as well, but really, don't stress yourself out over all of that.

The game also has forums that people use for both IC and OOC purposes. Want to know about changes made? Go to the forums. Want to get a little entertainment by reading what that imperial guard wrote about your law-breaking self? Read the forums for the report.  Want to make suggestions to the game? Read the forums.

There is now a visually-impaired setting which turns off the full combat and a few other things.  You can find them in the settings menu once you make it in to the game.  The coders really want to make this game friendly to the blind and visually-impaired community and just need some suggestions on how to make it even more so.  I think they could start with combat, but haven't been certain of what to suggest that might shorten it up a bit.  There is also a pathfind command. You can type a word or name of a building, and it will find the closest path. You cannot move quickly, but the delay is not bad.  Someone on the vipmud list made a great pathfinding script that I'd be happy to share.

One of my favorite features of the game is the combat and experience system. Be warned, this game does have the use of roundtime.  If you have played Dragonrealms or games like it, this will be a familiar concept.  I find that roundtime seems to really mess with my ability to script things the way that I would like, but I am certain that there are people far better able t o handle that kind of thing than I am.  If you are holding a dagger or other bladed weapon, you'd type 'thrust' and the name of the monster.  You can also target body parts on mobs.  Your opponent can bleed, be maimed, have a limb mutilated, or get knocked out. So if you are pounding on a monster, eventually it might bleed out before you can get that next hit in.  Unfortunately, so can you.

Experience is based on a buffer. So you go out, fight for a while, fill your buffer, and the  experience drains over time, allowing you to do other things like explore or rp without feeling like you ought to be fighting because you aren't gaining levels.

The player community is fantastic and helpful. Once you have created an account, you have access to the gamehelp channel during character creation. So if anything like stats or profession choice, or other things have you confused or curious, there will be a playerbase hap py to answer questions.

I know that my description of the game may make it sound daunting, but it isn't as harsh as it sounds. There is no permanent death, and the game has very strict policies on meta gaming and multi playing.  There is pK in this game, but there are also in-character consequences for murder. I should know, my character is in a bit of trouble for being an accessory to an abduction.

Anyway, if you are in to role playing and enjoy a persistent world where you can get involved with plots, make new friends, or be just about whatever your heart desires, please go to Unwritten Legends and apply.  The staff is wonderful, and they make changes every day. If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this topic.