Logically coding logical AI's that do logical things?

Note: All of my code samples are in bgt, as it's the only language I'm confident in enough to do with this.
So, logically, you can make a simple AI, by following something like this:

void botloop()
{
for(i=0; i<enemies.length; i++)
{
if(enemies[i].pos>pos)
{
enemies[i].pos--;
playstep();
}
//etc
and if(enemies[i].inrange==true)
{
enemies[i].attack();
}
//etc
}
}

All this would do is move toward you, and attack when in range. This is dumb, and it has no reguard for other things such as moving around walls in a 3d or 2d grid, aiming correctly if there is rotation, or dodging or blocking attacks if that were possible.

Of course, we can solve the navigational thing with a pathfinder... maybe? But the other ones confused me.

Does anyone, including Aprone, know or is willing to share how Aprone makes AI's in Swamp, or how similar ones are made?

This is just logically, unless you want to provide sample bgt code.

I'd like logic first though to see if I can do it on my own.

Sub question:

Is making AI's that learn, inside of a game, possible... And if so, how?

Cheers:
Redfox.