A clarification about https

Hi!
So I wondered if someone could clarify something about https requests for me.
Now, I understand that https is http that is secured using a secure socket layer.
but does that only apply yo traffic done through a browser?
For example, if I did something like this:
data="" "bob"], ["password":"mypassword"]]
requests.post("https://mydomain.com/login.php", data="">

Is that then covered by https, and thus okay to do?
I understand it's very ill advised to transmit passwords over networks, but it surely must be done how else does one log into anything?
Thanks.