Re: some questions about java.

You can compile classes into jar files, which can then be wrapped in an exe, but in theory, the jar file should work just as well, assuming the manifest is done correctly.
In practice, Windows has always messed up my jar files. I think it's a capitalization thing, where Windows messes with the case of the filenames, and Java expects the filenames to match the class names exactly, but I'm not sure because I've never managed to walk someone through making sense of this when it happened with my Java games.
Converting the jar to exe did not solve the problem, for me. So it's far more important to be sure the jar file will remain functional when it arrives on the user's computer.

Just to be clear: a jar file is essentially a zip file that will attempt to run a Java application, if your system has the association (which it should, if you installed the JDK).