Re: The real reason I hate Apple.

@13, I really hope that I don't start seing ads on system startup. Considering the way an OS boots and all that, I really, really can't imagine how you'd implement an ad blocker at that point. An ad generator would either need to be a loadable driver or embeded into the OS kernel. If its a driver, then getting rid of the ads would only cost you the amount of time it takesto permanently remove a driver from your OS driver list (either the windows driver store, the loaded modules on system boot for Linux, etc). If its embedded in the kernel though, then your only option would be to intercept the video card. That would require an extremely sophisticated driver and code base; I doubt anyone would tackle that. The likelihood of that happening though is almost nil since:
1) Microsoft and Apple are unlikely to embed such code directly in the kernel, owing to the low-level system code that is executing at that time; and
2) as for the Linux kernel, such a patch would likely never get passed the kernel review process.
The only thing we must then worry about is at the firmware level. Now that is definitely a very real possibility. Of course that might then significantly lower the revenue of the company doing the ads that way.