Re: So Many Apps!

Well this is all very interesting. I'm off to learn about a few more apps. Are you quite sure you wouldn't like to join me in the "Post-PC" revolution? smile

@Dark: watch out for a much-rumoured "Maxipad". Of course speakers will always be preferable, but having one on the device along with a large screen really emphasises the general computing nature of these things.

And let's not go back to your rants about iTunes media organisation, because we all know you just hate it no matter what. smile I agree it's unfair and a great shame that Apple did not consider the genuine benefits of a separate hierarchy for all apps that is programatically accessible with some sort of permission, or indeed for individual apps that can be accessed remotely using network or cable, but until Apple changes stance there is always Dropbox and various kludgy apps that offer discs as containers or else allow you to import data from other apps to do something (multiple attachments is a clear example of that).

I couldn't find Smugglers on the App Store. I thought that was PC-only?

@Chris: by way of understanding, can you name the sorts of apps that your computer has that you find more appropriate there? Perhaps I'm really just too old to know what's out there nowadays, but I'm increasingly of the opinion that the computer's best feature is the keyboard. smile

Having said that, would I go computer-free? Errr … no. Solidarity is important too. And yes this has a lot to do with existing familiarity, but also with the concreteness of files and file systems, as Dark said above.

In a way, I hope Apple does bring iOS and Mac together. I want them to give Mac the sealed, autonomous nature of iOS containment. And I want them to give iOS the flexibility of a Mac, with alternative app repositories, permission-based access, a user-accessible file system that can be accessed with the user's permission by apps, and extensibility with different kinds of hardware for storage and input. This is not the same thing as trying to shove an inappropriate interface onto devices so that the OS can be reused.

Ah well, I can dream …