Re: frustrated with companies that Provide products for the blind

Interesting topic, though to be honest this is another reason I can see braille going the way of the dinosaur unless it is made  more and cheaply compatible with  mainline information technology, and not spending over 1500 quid  rather than buying a laptop for a couple of hundred and banging nvda on it for nothing.

Whatever advantages  braille as a format might have (which is another debate entirely), they're not enough to warrent ten times the price over  speech software.

Similarly,  I've never really seen the point of Dazy as an audio format, indeed when the Rnib converted their stuff from old analogue casettes to Dazy (a convertion they made in 2005 after using the same technology sinse the 1950's), basically the only reason they used dazy was as a sop to the publication industry who didn't want their precious copywrite  violated  and so wanted the rnib's audio playable only on blind specific dazy pla yers, aside from the fact such players are bloody huge and have the battery life of a pig, plus of course it doesn't stop you playing a dazy book in  your favourite mp3 player or just getting a dazy playing program either (dolphin used to give away a free one with versions of Supernova).

I can see the advantage of dazy converting directly from a text file  to a synth voice, albeit I don't know much about that process and don't particularly enjoy reading with a synth anyway, indeed if a cheap braille display alternative were developed reading E books is one of the things I'd want it for, although I'd still find it far slower and clunkier than reading in audio.

As I said, unless the  tactile display  technology changes how long braille and blind access companies will continue I'm not sure.