Re: Manamon 2: Impressions Thread

Two things. Actually, no, three.

First, thanks for the support. I recognize that I've been saying "use the search feature" a lot lately. It might be repetitive. That much I will own. I still think I'm right in hoping people do this, but I get that it's repetitive. Maybe both sides have work to do? You still don't try and smear someone for this though.

Second, the manamon you're talking about, I think, is Shadina. It's the evolved form of Venibel, a little fox thing you can find early in the game. It's...actually not all that amazing, but it's a bit speedy so it can wreck teams that aren't prepared.

Third, the issue of thread size. Well, ironically, some of this thread's size is from people repeatedly asking the same questions without, uh, using the search feature. That's not all or even most of it though. To be clear, however, my issue wasn't just with the thread's size. It was the fact that it was a 150+ page thread in New Releases that kept getting bumped back up (and yes, I was part of this sometimes) for very little good reason. I would much rather hav a thread in general discussion get bumped up over and over again, especially when a game is new, as opposed to having a new release get pushed beneath an old release that someone decided to ask a question about. Also, this game is bigger and has more stuff in it; this thread is slowing down, but it's nowhere near stalled yet.

Oh, and a fourth thing, so I guess I'm a liar after all:

Chris, I feel your pain, albeit for different reasons. The catacombs are not, to me at least, as bad as you're making them out to be. Floor 4 really is the worst, and as I said, you can sorta shove your way to the north edge and then go east to find the stairs. Takes forever, but is doable. Also, manamon 1's postgame consisted of one new route, a new city, a forty-second cutscene with no significance, an upgraded master stadium, and I think three gym-leader rematches. This game has one uber-mythical, three lesser mythicals, no new cities or new routes, really, but you can rematch all eight gym leaders and more than half of the bosses. Plus there is a hidden area beyond the catacombs (don't worry, you can copter there once you reach it) with some more bosses and gear. There are way more manamon, way more moves, better diversity, better puzzles, better replayability. It's not a roster where like 65% are busted. Admittedly, there are some balance issues and problems (I've hit on these before) but this game is basically a step up from the original in virtually every way except (arguably) the quality of the script. I don't mean the story (I think the story is decent), I mean the straight-up quality of the writing. Not a lot has changed in three years. Dialogue is still kind of awkward, commas are missing way, way too often, and the description is just brutal in certain places. Really do wish I could've had a go at this thing before release to give it a nice hard polish; I could've kept the story intact without having it look the way it does, and I'm sure there are many people here who could've done the same.
Anyway, all this is to say that I'm sorry you've had enough. I do think this game's got a lot to offer, even if it falls spectacularly on its face in a few places.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ElizaBaez via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Loxias via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Loxias via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : josephweakland via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dan_Gero via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Xoren via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Mitch via Audiogames-reflector