Re: how does growl work?

I don't know about Growl for Windows; it started life as a Mac app, primarily to add notifications to Mac OS X. It wasn't accessible unless you used TTS output. But OS X now has native notifications, like Windows and iOS, albeit not as advanced as those of Growl. It's possible that Growl itself now has the ability to send notifications to the notification centre, but I no longer need or want it on my Macs.

Applications that know about Growl can inform Growl of noteworthy events. This is extended to multiple devices. If you have, for example, Prowl installed on your iPhone, then the notifications for stuff happening on your computer can end up on your iPhone. Boxcar can also do this, with the right plug-in. Various programs can use this: Torrent clients tell you about finished downloads, music players about changing tracks, Hardware Growler about hardware events, IMAP servers about new mail, etc, etc.