Re: Addressing Some Concerns About USA Games

Whiny Blindy wrote:

Not many, and those who do have most also access to a windows machine, so developing an audio game for another platform than windows is nothing more than a waste of time.

Bigotry of the worst kind. Windows is the reason I don't play many audio games any more. It might have been forgivable when Windows+VB6 really was all there was and bowing to the inevitable was easier than not using a computer, but now we have choice. And this twerp is trying to take that away from us--to restore computing to an earlier, more restrictive, less satisfactory state? He can sod off! While I'm in OS X, I expect to be treated like a first-class citizen. (In fact, by simply owning a Mac, I expect to be treated like a first-class citizen. big_smile ) The only allowances for Windows that I make are for games th at have already been written and that I have long-since played, where the investment to port is clearly not justified essentially for replay value and the very slight loss of performance in a VM is acceptable. Indeed, I question Draconis' announcement that it would port all of its Windows titles, because while I'm sure they can do it, I'm not sure what benefit it would bring, excepting some performance. So in summary, while developers have the option, it is a critical failure not to write cross-platform code. This is non-negotiable. End of f***ing discussion.

As to the rest, well nothing out of the usual really. I will agree, Tom, that you have taken a long time, but I'm prepared to accept that you have your reasons and many of them will be good. Development isn't a do-it-today-release-next-week kind of affair. It's hard work. Enjoyable though, once you've broken the initial hurdles.

What do you say to the recent announ ces at Build about the Apache-licensed .net Open Source compiler and runtimes? Anything in it? I confess I haven't looked deeply into it, but so far the fears of patent demons still loom; if you use .net, you open yourself up to all sorts of nastiness if the implementation of your choice just happens to do something MickeySoft thinks can earn them some money.

Anyway, thanks for the update.

  • [Audiogames-r... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: tward
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Sebby
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Lord_Raven
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Sebby
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: Sebby
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: tward
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: danny
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: SLJ
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: kyle12
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: BryanP
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: aaron
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: tward
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: BryanP
    • Re: [Aud... AudioGames.net Forum — General Game Discussion: KG4RDF