Re: Monthly chat December 2019

@vaibhavbhandari, I am a staff reviewer on the site fantasybookreview.co.uk. All my reviews can be Found here.

Well Frozen 2 was fun. aCtually it was one of those films where I was glad to be sitting at the front of the cinemar, since there was a lot of pretty stuff that even my limited vision could make use of, though of course it was handy to have the audio description.

I was a little shocked when the tickets initially were going to cost £19.50 for the two of us, that is about 25 dollars, which is probably more than I'd pay for the film on dvd.
Apparently, cinemars put prices up of popular films, which is down right scummy!

Luckily, the nice lady at the ticket desk fudged things a little and charged us the disabled rate plus companion, which basically meant we paid for just the one adult ticket not to, so it was £9.75, which is a lot more reasonable.

the film wasn't bad and had a lot of great moments. I'm not sure if I agree with my brother that the new "into the unknown" song is better than let it go, but it was good  hear anyway.

My more serious problem was that while a lot of the moments, the humour and generally the fun stuff were good on their own, as a hole it was rather lacking in places, indeed the plot wasn't so much coherent as a random adventure which tacked together a hole bunch of awesome visual and singing sequences, which even started to feel a wee bit indulgent, I mean I don't  need Elsa to tell us  awesome she and her magic are yet again thanks, especially with another "I can go off and be awesome on my own" sequence. Then again, the explanation of Elsa's magic and the lore of the world was interesting here, albeit I did find the answer that came up a bit too obvious.

I was also glad Christof got his own song this time, and a rather wonderfully cheesy eighties pop balad at that, though I was sorry how  sidelined he felt here.

anna I think was the biggest disappointment, since basicaly she spent most of the film complaining at people, dangling after Elsa who was pretty capable of being awesome on her own (she tells us so herself), and basically ignoring and mistreating christof.

indeed, while I really like the frozen characters and how flawed  Ana and Elsa are in the first film, I did feel this second offering went a bit too far with the, "female characters must be flaweless and awesome and can't do anything wrong" trope, which so badly affected people like Jasmin in the remake of aladin, as well  as Ray in Starwars, and apparently captain Marval as well, although that's not one I've seen.
IIndeed, for me it's overcoming flaws that makes characters awesome, of whatever gender, but hay.

Then again, on the plus side, much of the film was fun, and I loved some of the rather meta humour from the first film, including the sequence when Olaff explains the plot to a bunch of rather bemused people, which reminded me of the sequence in return of the jedi where C3PO is trying to explain the plot of starwars to the Ewoks big_smile.

Actually in general Olaff was a lot of fun in this one, although with the film's focus being generally less coherent, a lot of his words of wisdom didn't quite fall as true as they did the last time around.

Oh, and also we noticed a return of another proud disney tradition, the crappy pop version of the principle song over the credits big_smile.

So in general Frozen 2 gets a cautious pass from me, albeit it's more like a set of awesome songs and sequences put together with a random adventure, rather than anything new in it's own right, and while it does explore the world a bit, there weren't  any major revelations along the way.

Speaking of Starwars, we'll probably go and see that later this month with my brother and his fiance, though I confess after last Jedi, also known as the character assassination of Luke Skywalker, we're rather waiting in dread big_smile.

    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : vaibhavbhandari via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : manamon_player via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Daredevilsprmcy via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : vaibhavbhandari via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : moaddye via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Dark Eagle via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Off-topic room : Wes Hollow via Audiogames-reflector