Re: Retroarch is now accessible

#11: Yeah, grab the nightly version.

@stirlock: How in the world do you play Chrono Trigger? I guess I should know that first before we get into how you beat Lavos, which is probably OCR'ing the battle screens. Lol, post a video of that to Reddit's r/emulation sub and you'll be a god for sure.

Everyone else: I'm surprised that this thread grew so quickly. To anyone wanting to try this right meow, you'll need to download the nightly build, not the release version. 1.8.2 will be released in a few days, hopefully, if you'd rather wait for that.

To the person, post 6 I think, wanting to know what Retroarch is, it is basically a program that gives one access to many emulators, but in a unified way. For example, your library of games is one library, but opens using the emulators, or cores, that the type of game works with. So, Dissidia Final Fantasy will open with PPSSPP, and Mortal Kombat Gold will work with the Sega Dreamcast core. But you don't have to have those programs on your computer, you download the cores from Retroarch. Also, a great thing about it being a unified system is that you don't have to map your Xbox 1X controller to 20 different emulators, which will have 20 different interfaces to do so, with 20 different levels of accessibility. Granted, the mapping interface on Retroarch is a bit weird, just listen for up, down, left, and right when dealing with the face buttons, and map direction wise, not letter wise (A, B, Y, and X). But once that's mapped right, it'll work the same across all cores.

Another thing is that, while for now we have OCR, hopefully in the future, we'll have sort of game packs for accessibility, containing not just text from the game, but information about things nearby the character, which I hope will be short sounds, not text, information about health bars in fighting games, ledges so that I don't fall into stage traps so much in Dissidia, and, perhaps, even descriptions of stages and characters if we really want to wish hard, and of course menus which speak as one moves the cursor. All that is quite a ways off, but I'm sure that if we all work together with the Retroarch team, this will definitely be only one small step to video game accessibility, and I'll be able to enjoy games like Zelda, Final Fantasy, and plenty others. After all, if we can get this far, with a whole user interface accessible, and OCR in games as a supported accessibility tool, why not dream even bigger. I say, let's break our limits! Uh, like, limit breaks in Final Fantasy...

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arturminyazev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arturminyazev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dekyo-NEC2608 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dekyo-NEC2608 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dekyo-NEC2608 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dekyo-NEC2608 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arturminyazev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : devinprater via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arturminyazev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arturminyazev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arturminyazev via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Blind angel 444 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Blind angel 444 via Audiogames-reflector