papa sangre, ending questions? spoilers

okay so I finally beat the game
but just wondering though, is your character supposed to die at the end? its either you or the girl that dies if you choose to take her with you, not sure what happens if you don't though
question, if I want to attempt another path in the story eg not saving or saving one of the people, can I do that from the select level menu? or will i have to start the game from the beginning to do that