Re: TriadCity via MUD clients

aaron77 wrote:

I actually find the idea of a non-visual world fascinating from a literary perspective.  Not only are MUDs biased toward sight, but I feel like the English language is as well, and I've never seen anyone try to create a world where vision does not exist.  I've found plenty of short stories or books that feature blind protagonists, but they're still aware of what seeing is, what colors are, etc.  So what would happen if the concept of sight wasn't even a thing?  How would people live?  What kind of art would they produce?  etc. [...] I also love the concept of worlds within a universe.  A non-vision based human race is only the beginning.  How would you write up a world where whatever sentient race you played as could only feel their environment? or perhaps had all five senses, but another one, such as smell being their primary sense?

Your thinking here is very similar to ours. We're intrigued by the same questions you pose: how would such a world be described and how would the characters function in it - and I love your comment about the nature of art. I think we're going to go ahead, on a small scale, with implementing a sub-world within the TriadCity universe where as you say the concept of sight doesn't exist at all. We'll start it small and learn what we learn, and if it interests people we can expand it from the initial seed.