Re: Audio game speed running

Hi Quasar,

extremely nice that you bring this up. This is actually a thing I have been thinking about on and off over the last couple years as I got a little into the competetive field of mainstream gaming.
It is really impressive what speed runners can achieve in their respective games, how high the skill ceiling can actually get even in seemingly simple things like moving a Tetris block from left to right and stuff. I was always wondering if and how you could translate that into audio gaming.

But the problem I always had with this was finding an apropriate game for speed running. Because they need to have some really specific characteristics to be viable speed run games. There is a reason after all why there are Chess championships but no Monopoly turnaments.

The game has to be

  • A game you love that much you are willing to pour hundrets of hours of playtime into it

  • Complex enough to have game mechanics you can improve upon and master

  • Consistent enough to build actual run tactics and routes instead of being a total rng nightmare

  • Dificult enough to provide a real challenge even when breezing through it

There are not to many audio games that come to mind with these requirements, at least for me. I am however very interessted in your guys opinions what games might be worthwhile speedrunning.
My perfect candidate would probably be Shades Of Doom. Anyone speedran that yet?

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Quasar via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : ogomez92 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : pulseman45 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : bgt lover via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Honk via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Vazbol via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Trajectory via Audiogames-reflector