Re: latin

Salve,
The thing is, you cannot just learn Latin in a few weeks or months. I, for example, am learning Latin in school, and it's definitely not that easy as expected. You can, of course, do it if you learn vocabulary and loads of grammar, for example the "Ablativus Absolutus", the "Particip Perfect Passiv", "Particip Praesens Activ" as well as loads of word-endings, combined with the futur grammar, the past, et cetera.

I'll give you an example:
Maybe you know the movie "Life of Brian", my currently favourite one, even if it is from the late 70s.
"Ire" is the latin verb form for "to go".
In the movie, the main character, Brian, was writing "Romanes eunt domus" onto a wall. He actually wanted to say "Romans go home", but written like that, it would mean "Humans called "Romanes" go the house".
So, the officer forced him to decline the word " ;ire": to go. This would be like the following.
You first need to know the six word endings for plural and singular persons:
o: I
s: you
t: he/she/it
mus: we
tis: you (plural form, for multiple persons)
nt: they

Well, now you should be able to decline "ire":
eo: I go
Is: you go
It: he/she/it goes
Imus: we go
itis: you (more than one person) go
Eunt: they go

The singular for "Roman" is "Romanus". The plural form is "Romani".

Let's head back to "ire".
We now know how to decline it, but in this case, "ire" is an order!
The singular in this case for "go!" is "I!" So, what's the plural? "Ite!"

"Domus" just means "house/home". Since you want the romans to go to their house/home, you have to form the following sentence:
Romani ite ad domum!

You see, it's a lot more difficult than English or other, still existing lanuages. Hmm, maybe Chinese is still one of the most difficult languages, Latin is definitely a lot of easier! big_smile
NOTE: Not every sentence can be verbally translated. You sometimes need to reform the translated sentences so it will actually make sence to you and the others.
Example: Ad Forum ascendo.
Rough translated, just read and written from left to right, it would mean "To the market I go up". In this case, you have to reform the sentence, so it means "I go up to the market."
If you think you're up to it, you may try translating my signature.
Hints:
Dare: to give
facere: to make / to do something

If my Latin magister reads this, please do not blame me if I made any mistakes. This is just an example, which should not be used as a tutorial (Tutorium) for beginners.

Vos saluto maxime,
Scholar Patricus.