Re: Discussion about movement in mainstream games

Ok this is interesting.

Here are some example of some game examples that might help explain things in terms of gameplay. An example of a purely side-scrolling game is like bk 2 and 3, or the early contra games. In those games, you move left and right, and the directions up and down are used to climb or descend. That is also important to distinguish in control reference.

Example of 2.5d games, and I dont think we really have these in audiogames for some weird reason, but some examples would be like streets of rage or final fight. In those games, you generally move left or right and face those directions only. Up and down are used for sidestepping. You also see this in some fighting games like tekken or dead or alive series.

Top-down view games as stated above are like manamon, or paladin. This is also commonly referred to as third person perspective.  When talking about these games, it's probably easiest to look at your control stick as a compass, where up is north. The gameplay style is similar to isometric view games, which is also not present in terms of audio games.

I think we're all pretty clear on the gameplay style of the first person ciew so I wont go too much into it, but I think that this is the only instance where up on the control stick is referred to ad forward.