Re: What does the user karma mean?

User Karma tells you how many thumbs ups a person has gotten across all their posts. It is a meter (although not a very accurate one) of how useful and liked by the community a person is.

Example: The user Tardigrade (which I just mmade up, obviously) has 4 posts. Post 1 recieved 1 thumbs up, posts 2 and 3 0, and post 4 3 thumbs ups. So Tardigrade's User Karma is 4.

People have different criteria for giving thumbs ups. Some give them out generously, others are stingy, and some don't care about the button at all. But generally the best way to get your karma up is with well-written, educational and interesting posts.

I give thumbs ups pretty often, for new releases, useful information, helpful answers to my questions, or just things that make me laugh. And of course, more or less well-written posts that happen to agree with my world view, because I'm very biased.
And just now, I gave you one for this question, just for the hell of it. smile You now have 7 karma, so I do hope you're a Code 7 fan. But even if you're not, it's still a pretty nice number, so lucky you!